Sunday, February 3, 2013

Heart Crayons

We love to color. Crayons, colored pencils, markers. White paper, coloring books, lined paper. Birdie is really good at not coloring on furniture and she doesn't color on actual books. We lucked out. Thanks to Godzilla Daddy, we have way too many broken crayon pieces everywhere. He has this horrible habit of stepping on crayons and cracking them. No matter how often we clean them up. It's like a magnet. They're just attracted to his feet.


We soaked the crayons over night, so that the paper came off easily. They just peeled right off. We threw them into a bag and just crushed them a little more. Some of the pieces were just a little too big for the molds, so we kept breaking them down until they could fit. Set the oven at 250 degrees and then placed it in for about 10-15 minutes. You keep them in there until it melts.

Then you just set it out to cool. I placed ours in the freezer, and forgot them there for a couple of hours. I took them out, let them get to room temperature and they popped right out of the mold. Birdie isn't quite too sure about them - since they aren't quite shaped how she's used to. But I like them. 




Working out is on hold until I figure out something else to do. My one day of working out flared up an old injury and I'm in pain. I'm talking pain killers and heat pads. I tore up my shoulder, playing soft ball in high school and this is starting to feel worse than the original injury. Maybe I'll just go back to running, and run more often. I'm not sure yet.


7 comments:

  1. That looks really neat! Hopefully Birdie will learn to like them.

    I hurt my achilles tendon in dance and it still hurts to walk. I do my exercise with a brace on. Hopefully you can figure something out in the mean time!

    Polka Dot Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you hurting yourself :( I hope I can figure something out, but I can barely do anything with that arm right now :( It hurts. I'm also a big cry baby LOL.

      Delete
  2. I've always seen kids who don't want to use 'old' and broken crayons anymore~ This is such a great idea~ I think I'll try this one with my neice. :3

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to use up old crayons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! When we took kids to camp one of the crafts they did was melting crayons and it was so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet! Perfect for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete