Tuesday, February 5, 2013

"No Poo Method" - 30 Day Challenge



I've heard a lot of things about the no poo method. Good things and bad things. So I wanted to try it.

For those that don't know, no poo is short for no shampoo. Instead of using shampoo to wash your hair, you'd use a baking soda and water mix. Instead of using conditioner, you'd use an apple cider vinegar and water mix. I personally use one tablespoon of baking soda and one cup of water every time I wash my hair. I have a ton of hair. It goes past my butt. I mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a cup of water, but I only use half when I wash my hair.

I pour the baking soda mix on my scalp in the shower, while my hair is dry. You can do it when your hair is wet. I prefer to do it when it's dry because the mixture doesn't lather up and I want to make sure I don't miss a spot. I let it sit while I do everything else and then I rinse. I pour the vinegar mix on my ends and rinse. I heard you can use the vinegar mix as a leave in conditioner as well.

Day 1: Washed my hair. Blow dried it. It was soft & shiny. Wore it down.
Day 2: Still soft & shiny. Wore it down.
Day 3: Rinsed it with water. Wore it in a pony tail.
Day 4: Braided it. Didn't feel or look greasy to me.
Day 5: Still in a braid.
Day 6: Kind of started to look a little greasy. Threw it up in a bun.
Day 7: Rinsed it. Bun.

So not too bad. Didn't get too greasy at all. And this is with me working out. Jogging and attempting the 30 Day Shred. I'm just going to keep going and see how this works out.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting idea!! Does the vinegar smell though? That's the only concern I'd have!! Thanks for linking up and for your comment and the Aloha Friday Blog Hop button love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm not sure if i could go without shampoo but i did notice a huge change when i switched to an all-natural shampoo and stopped using the drugstore stuff. before, i would *have* to wash my hair every day or it would have this strange smell and get greasy within a day. when i switched to all-natural shampoo, i now can wash every other day or every 2 days without it having that weird smell or getting greasy. strange, huh?

    i have heard many who have gone the no 'poo way and while it was a little tough at first, got great results after the first few weeks.

    ReplyDelete